September has been a fickle month, it has turned out to be more about making it through to the end than about meeting the goal. Heith, my husband, and I were all set to make some more headway on our debt repayment plan after coming off a three day weekend. We were refreshed and ready to go, and then life took us for a ride.
That first week back we had several things going on in the evening so there was no overtime. Then on September 8th I got a phone call from my husband asking me to come and pick him up from work. He was feeling dizzy, light headed and sick. By that afternoon the doctor diagnosed him with vertigo and told him to stay home and rest for the next two days. Two days turned into six, a CT (cat scan), and a scheduled recheck in three months. It was also a week of lost wages. For most families that is a hard thing to swallow. When you only have the one income to begin with, it can be even harder. Thankfully we had our baby emergency fund in place so in the end, everything went on like normal.
The lost wages were mild to what happened last week Friday. My husband received a phone call from our bank’s Fraud Detection Office, asking us if we were in Cleveland Ohio! Of course the answer was no, but apparently someone had our credit card number and was having a grand old time to the tune of $560.00! Tack on another $140.00 with overdraft fees bringing the grand total to $700.00! We are still working with our bank to get the problem resolved, and hopefully it will be soon. Look for an up coming post on this! The day we got the call, and went into the bank I couldn’t help but think of how ironic this whole situation is given that I am a personal finance blogger!
So, just how did I do on my September goals?
September Financial Goals
- Pay off Perkins Student Loan – This was a pass and it became officially paid off on September 10th, 2014!
- Fully Fund Baby Emergency Fund – Having Heith off of work set us back on this goal BUT things will get turned back around in short order. We had an emergency and that is exactly what this account is meant to be used for. I am thankful we had the money available to use when needed it.
- Earn Extra Income: I just can’t seem to make this work, but I will not give up on trying to find some time to make a side hustle on line. Any ideas?
- Move BEF Online – This didn’t happen this month either with Heith being sick and then the hack on our bank account. I would still like to move money to Capital 360 but it will have to wait until everything gets sorted out.
- Credit Card Number Two – No extra was put on this account this month. However, we will be putting at least an extra $75.00 on it each month from here on out because we freed up that money by paying off the one credit card and my student loan.
September Blogging Goals
- Create A Blog Work Scheduled – I didn’t complete this goal, but it is in the works. I still plan to use the article 7 Tips To Grow Your Blog On A Part Time Schedule to create a work scheduled for myself so that I will have some direction to my day.
- Alexa Rank -My goal by the end of September was to have my rank down to 150,000. In my September Goals post I had mentioned that I had notice a slowing down in the downward movement of my rank as it got closer to the 200,000 mark. The last week of September my number hovered at 157, 680 for several days. I thought that I would be ending the month stuck on the number but was pleasantly surprised to see my Alexa Rank drop to 147,081 by 11:50 pm September 30th, and as this writing it is down to 141,908!
- Find My Voice – I think I am doing a little better on this, but am going to continue working on it.
- Learn SEO – Honestly I haven’t thought much about SEO all month.
- Rebuild Our Emergency Fund – This is our only financial goal for October. After the lost week of wages, and needing to cover pull out an additional $500.00 from savings to cover what the thieves have stolen and to keep us from continuing to be charged a $35.00 overdraft fee (so far that alone has totaled $175.00) our emergency fund is looking very week indeed.
- Participate In Writing Oktoberfest – Writing Octoberfest is a 31 day challenge to write and basically get to know our blogging voices, learn to write on a regular basis, and learn to be consistent with it. I am challenging myself to write a minimum of 500 words every day. If you want to learn more about it you can read Brian’s post over at Luke1482.
- Guest Post – I would like to write a guest post somewhere this month. I’m not sure how to go about finding a place to do this, or quite sure how to reach out. But if you have any suggestions I would love to hear about it! Or if you’re looking for a guest poster this month let me know!
- Adsense – I’m toying with the idea of adding Adsense to my blog, along with a few other small affiliate links here and there. It’s certainly something I’ll be looking into this month.
- Website Updates – I’m also working on switching my theme and header over to the Genesis framework. While I really like my theme, I don’t want to have to do this move when I have 100 or more posts on my blog. So now seems as good a time as any. I may also change my header a bit, but not sure on that yet.
- Alexa Rank – In the next 31 days I would like for my Alexa rank to drop from 141,908 to 100,000. Watching my rank drop from over a million to where it is today tells me I am doing something write, and I hope to continue making strides to be in the top 50,000 websites. Wish me luck!
Don’t miss out on any of my great tips to help your family
save money, have frugal fun and enjoy life!
Check out Pinterest for more frugally fantastic ideas.
Android users download the Two Kids And A Budget app