I can’t believe it is already August 6th! My plan had been to do a monthly recap and financial goals post on the last day of each month, but better late than never I suppose.
July Financial Stats
1) Our baby emergency fund is sitting at a measly $200.00 after being depleted for dental surgery last May. Unfortunately there is still more to come. We are however working towards getting this ship back on track.
2) We finally received our 2013 Federal Tax Refund on July 20th. We got it so late this year because I procrastinated until the very last day to do our taxes. After waiting eight weeks for a refund that didn’t come I did a little investigation and discovered the IRS didn’t like the pin number I had used as my electronic signature. After applying for and receiving a new pin I refiled our taxes and began the wait all over again. Our refund finally arrived and we have begun utilizing it for debt repayment and other things on our to do list.
3) We paid off $1,430.00 of debt! While credit card number two wasn’t our smallest debt and according to the debt snowball should have been paid off after the Perkins student loan we had a very good reason for paying it off first. This particular credit card was one issued from a big box home improvement store. When we opened the account last year they offered us 0% interest on our purchase for 24 months ending in May 2015. With only a $25 payment each moth we took advantage of the deal. We also knew going in that if we didn’t have the balance paid in full by the end of the promotional period we would owe all of the back interest we hadn’t been paying. We would also owe interest ON that interest until it was paid off. It had always been our intention to use part of our tax return from this year to pay off that debt and being able to pay this credit card off now has been a great relief.
4) July’s extra income has been dismal. With my mom and five year old nephew visiting from Colorado making extra money was honestly not very high on my priority list. The $13.82 I made this month really isn’t worth mentioning, but then again every penny counts. My husband however was able to work several days of overtime and part of that went towards birthday photos taken at JC Penny , gifts and party supplies for our son. I also took my mother out to dinner, and got professional photos of the three grandchildren together for her and my dad’s birthday as well.
August Financial Goals
My husband and I have some very easy financial goals for this month. Actually my top goal is to get my husband more involved with our finances. He has very little interest in our finances as long as I keep us headed in the right direction. I have let him get away with it so I am just as guilty as he is in that aspect of our marriage.
We plan on adding at least $200.00 into our baby emergency fund. Doubling it’s current total. I would really like to have $600.00 in our BEF by the end of the month but I’m only half certain that will happen.
Extra Income: My husband will continue to work the overtime he is offered, this week alone he has worked 3 twelve hour days. I have told him however that if he starts to get burnt out on all of the extra hours he needs to take a break. I am aiming to make at least $100.00 from home this month. I know that isn’t a lot, but this time of year is very busy for us and we are not home a lot. My boys, ages 2 and 4, are also my top priority. That’s why I am a stay at home mom after all.
I also have some blogging goals this month to help me move farther along in this new online world I am in. If you more experienced bloggers have some different suggestions though I would love to hear about them!
1) Find a theme that I am happy with. As this blog doesn’t make any money I don’t want to pay for a theme so I am looking for one that I can customize myself.
2) Finish designing my header. While I like the way it looks for now, it still needs some improvements. I’m trying to teach myself how to do this as well.
3) Drop my Alexa rank by 2,000. I don’t know how hard that will be but that’s my goal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
4) Add Twitter and Facebook Buttons to my blog now that I am signed up for both services. Again this is something I wan’t to be able to customize myself.
I guess that is it for now! It may not sound like a lot, but to me I think it is. I also think I can achieve all of these goals as well!