My boys love playing with Play-Dough, it doesn’t matter if we make it from scratch or if is store-bought. The squishy, messy, dough can keep them entertained for long stretches of time. But now and then we need a break from the routine and then it’s off to find something new to experiment with. A couple of months ago I discovered a fun alternative to our standard Play-Dough, a simple two ingredient foam dough. The boys had so much fun with it that they have asked me to make it several time since then.
To be honest, I always consider it to be a gamble when experimenting with different DIY kid related craft recipes and activities found online. If you’re not careful they can be quite costly, can take forever to make, and then what happens if the kids don’t like it? You simply have to toss it out and there goes your time and money down the drain. I really loved that the foam dough recipe has only two ingredients, is inexpensive, easy to make and there was no cooking involved.
How To Make Foam Dough
- Shaving Cream, make sure it is not the gel kind.
- Liquid Food Coloring (optional)
- Disposable baking pan (optional)
- Bowls, spoons, day dough toys (optional)
The total cost of this project was $3.18, as I was able to purchase the shaving cream and disposable baking pan at the Dollar Store and the cornstarch was easily found in the baking section at my local Kroger store.
Here comes the hard part! Dump any amount of cornstarch into a bowl or directly onto your kitchen table. Squirt about the same amount of cheap shaving cream on to the cornstarch then add a few drops of your liquid food coloring. Mix with your hands or a spoon until the dough forms. If it seems a little too dry or a little to wet add a little more of one or the other ingredients. You will be able to tell the dough is ready when you can squeeze it together with your hand and it forms a ball. When you’re done clean up is a breeze, just put it in a ziplock bag or toss it in the trash. Any left behind easily washes away with a little warm water. That’s it! See I told you it would be complicated.
I did pick up a couple of tips having made the foam dough a few times now. These may help you have an ever better experience with it.
- First, it’s easier to mix your foam dough in a bowl using a spoon than mixing it with your hands and it keeps your fingers from getting messy if you have to add more of one ingredient.
- My boys loved the feel of the dough and liked to crumble it. The first time we made it was a mess, although it was easy to clean up afterwards. To help control the mess this time around I dumped the foam dough into a disposable baking pan and then when they were done with it I just tossed it in the trash. You could also play with this outside and just not worry about it.
The cornstarch and shaving cream foam dough has a very soft and silky texture, it makes for a great sensory play craft. I have to admit that I enjoyed playing with it almost as much as the boys did!
Don’t miss out on any of my great tips to help your family
save money, have frugal fun and enjoy life!
Check out Pinterest for more frugally fantastic ideas.
Android users download the free Two Kids And A Budget App
*This post contains affiliate links. You do not have to purchase items through them.